Get The Support You Need to Start a Massage Career in Less Than a Year*
New York Institute of Massage has been a leading source of massage therapy education since 1994. We give our students the tools to launch a career in massage therapy. In many cases, it takes less than a year to complete your training. We offer full- and part-time class schedules to fit any lifestyle and offer financial assistance to those who are eligible.
Becoming a Licensed Massage Therapist
Massage Therapy career training can provide so many opportunities. Imagine the satisfaction you’ll feel, if you graduate from NYIM and pass your board examination, knowing that you’ll have a lifelong career ahead of you. If you need more reasons to sign up for classes, here are a few that may get you to pick up the phone and schedule a time for your visit:
- Flexible scheduling – We offer 4.5-hour morning, afternoon and evening classes. That way, you can fit school into your otherwise busy life.
- Small school – This means more focused attention and deeper learning for you.
- Community Culture – Students love the diverse group of people they learn amongst. Most report of feeling like a family while attending school.
- Financial assistance – We offer help with financial aid and loans.
We work with everyone at New York Institute of Massage. No matter where you are in life, there’s a possible career as a licensed massage therapist in your future. Contact us today to get the answers you’re looking for.
There’s no better way to become a professional than through practice. That’s why we created the Student Clinic; so you can gain experience in operating a professional massage therapy business. Over the course of 80 massage therapy sessions, you’ll experience what it’s really like to be on the job (and work out the kinks while you’re at it). Whether it’s performing massage techniques on real patients or using the computer to do administrative work, you’ll become prepared for when you graduate and enter the profession.
The Student Clinic component will focus on the following 4 areas:
- Introduction to Massage – You’ll work on improving your communication and assessment skills. You’ll learn to explain and demonstrate the basic massage strokes, proper pressure, and oil control.
- Massage Techniques – You’ll learn to evaluate your client’s needs to determine where and when to use other massage techniques, and how to integrate those techniques into your Swedish Massage routine.
- Oriental Massage – You will educate your clients about the advantages of Oriental Massage and will be able to explain the basic theory of the Oriental healing arts to your clients. You’ll perform a hara assessment on your clients and will be able to perform an Oriental Massage routine using the correct hand and body movements in accordance to the meridian flow.
- Medical Massage – You’ll become familiar with medical and/or chiropractic diagnosis and specific treatment plans, and will be able to effectively treat a variety of conditions using different techniques and routines. You will also learn how to refer clients to other health professionals, as needed, and will be able to document a massage session on the computer.
Giving Back to the Community
NYIM is committed to serving the community by raising awareness of the benefits of massage. That’s why we started our ‘Charity Chair’ massages initiative, making 20 hours of community service a mandatory part of our students’ overall education. Community service is completed at NYIM sponsored functions and most events benefit local charities. This requirement helps the student to gain valuable knowledge about the massage therapy profession through hands-on contact with the public.
We recognize the importance of massage therapy as a complementary therapy to traditional medicine. NYIM was designed to provide you with the necessary training to develop the skills; professionalism and knowledge needed to be a successful massage therapist.
NYIM is committed to offering a comprehensive program enabling graduates to qualify for positions as Licensed Massage Therapists. It is our goal to protect the public by producing qualified massage therapists.
Accreditations & Affiliations
NYIM is approved by the NYS Board of Regents and is registered with the NYS Department of Education. Our program complies with all regulations set forth in the Massage Handbook of the NYS Department of Education.
The Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges/ACCSC is recognized by the U.S. Department of Education as an institutionally recognized accrediting agency.
The National College Credit Recommendation Service (National CCRS) is a component of the internationally recognized University of the State of New York (USNY) Board of Regents.
NYIM is a member in good standing of the Associated Bodywork and Massage Professionals (ABMP), a national association that facilitates and promotes the practice of ethics and professional acceptance in massage therapy.
NYIM is a member of the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA).
Is a Rewarding Career in Massage Therapy Right For You? Get More Info…
If you’re interested in learning more about careers in Massage Therapy and exploring whether NYIM is right for you, fill out the form on this page to receive more information.
For immediate questions, call 716-633-0355